10.06.2008

Which is harder?

Three years ago as I was riding on the bus to the starting line of my first St. George marathon, I happened to be situated in the middle of a large group of women who were running together. The conversation came up, "Which is harder, running a marathon or giving birth?" As I listened to the debate, I wondered what I had really gotten myself into. I heard one women claim that giving birth was easier because you had something tangible in the end. Having experienced neither, I quickly found myself wondering what the next few hours had in store.

Saturday morning as Colby drove me to the drop off point to once again ride the bus to the starting line, I was a little worried about the sprinkles on the window that quickly turned into much more. I am not the bravest person about running in the rain, and hoped with all my heart that it would let up. To my dismay, it rained the entire 4 hours and 40 minutes it took me to run that 26.2 miles. During that time, I found myself several times agreeing with that woman on the first bus that running a marathon is more difficult than giving birth, and that's saying a lot since giving birth was no piece of cake for me either. In the end, I finished, dripping wet, sore, and cold, but I finished. It really was one of the most challenging experiences of my life, but so worth it when I crossed that finish line. They said at the start that this was the 32nd year they had run the race, and only the second time it had rained. Go figure, just my luck!

I know I look so cute in this picture, but please keep in mind that I found some nice guy at the starting line who was handing out grocery sacks to people to help them stay dry. I ran with it on my head for 90% of the race!

This is Caylin's version of running a marathon!

7 little munchkins:

Kari said...

Good job! I was thinking about you this weekend remembering that you were running! I'm sorry it rained the whole time, that stinks, but I think it's so awesome that you did this (repeatedly!). Good job!!

And I know my view of child birth is a little different since I had a scheduled c-section, but I definitely say that running a marathon is harder! ;)

Sly Family said...

I cannot believe you ran 26 miles in under five hours that is amazing!!! I always think about training to do a marathon, but I am not as determined and gutsy at you are!!! Good Job! How many have you ran now?

Maquel said...

You're awesome! I'm sure I would have given up under the conditions. My brothers ran it this year, too. They said it was miserable.

Jess said...

Congrats on finishing another! I think I may have to agree with you that a marathon is harder than child birth. That is a tough one though.

Becky said...

Lindsey -
I couldn't be more proud of you; although having gone through your childbirth also, it's really a toss-up. However, look what you got at the end - Caylin or a stone medallion (that Caylin chipped - oh darn it). I think I would take my Caylin. She loved running her little race, especially with everyone cheering her one. I wish you had a picture of Caylin's reaction when she saw you. She wouldn't let you go. Anyway, love you sweetie!! Sorry again we missed you.

Mimi

Kelsey said...

I can't believe you run marathons!
You are so tough!!!!!
I don't know if childbirth or a marathon wins. I'll go with childbirth but only cause I'll never run a marathon :)

Mindylou said...

Way to go! I am so proud of you! Truly, that is awesome! You know, millions and millions of women can go through childbirth (like me), but how many have finished a marathon?????? (not me)